Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Days Two and Three: HA '08.

On day two we rode a large boat out onto the ocean and went on a snorkeling excursion to an atoll off the coast of Maui known as Molokini. Here it is up close and from the shore. I don't have any other pics from that day cause we used underwater cameras and haven't had them developed them yet. The snorkeling was really cool. I think I snorkeled everyday I was in Hawaii. The ocean is so fun!
On day three we woke up at 2:30AM to ride a bus up to the top of Haleakala, the tallest volcano on the island, to attempt to watch the sunrise. Unfortunately the crater was shrouded in clouds and misty rain...no sunrise for us. Here's me and my grandfather at the top:
After the botched sunrise it was our turn to ride bikes all the way down the mountain. Going from 10,000 feet to sea level in about two hours was pretty amazing. Here's the whole group (minus a few people who didn't want to get up so early) before we started and a few views from the ride down:

On the drive home from the bike shop where we ended up after our ride, we decided to stop at a scenic overlook and stumbled upon a beautiful surfer's beach.
You can kind of make out the little black dots in the photo below (surfers) and check out those waves. I can't even imagine what a rush that must be.
A few more scenic shots from the beach:
On our way back to the cars we stumbled upon a guy selling organic Maui pineapples out of the back of his truck. It was one of the best I've ever eaten!

Stay tuned for even more fantastic Hawaii-ness.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Spann said...

GREAT pics! Mmmm pineapple. My mouth just watered! ;) So glad you had a blast!

kristen said...

keep it coming!

Chandle said...

Everything looks so freaking amazing. We missed you, but I'm glad you're having fun. I hadn't checked your blog in awhile, you've been posting boo-koos. Love it.