Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Recipe of the Week

Chandle, This one's for you...and anyone else who might enjoy a delicious fall-inspired dessert. (Unfortunately for all of us down South, even though its the middle of September, we have not yet experienced any signs of fall seeing how we live in the climatically-retarded state of Arkansas.)

Fresh Apple Cake with Caramel Icing

2 eggs
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
4 c. peeled, diced apples (choose a variety)
Caramel Icing (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 350F. Beat the eggs until light and fluffy. Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla and stir to combine. Sift together the remaining ingredients and add to the egg mixture. Fold in the diced apples. (It may seem like there isn't enough batter, but just keep stirring until all apples are coated.) Put in a greased 9x13-inch cake pan. Bake for 45 minutes. Completely cool cake before icing.

Caramel Icing

1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1 c. brown sugar, packed
1/4 milk or cream
3 1/2 c. powdered sugar

In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar. Cook and stir until bubbly; remove from heat. Add 1/4 cup milk; beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add the powdered sugar; beat by hand until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Immediately frost the cake.

2 comments:

Chandle said...

You're the best. Everyone here will love you for it. Thanks. Now I get to say "I'm going to go pick some apples." again.

Susan said...

Hello, I met you at Kat's wedding. We sat at the same table. Anyhow, I happened upon your blog via her's. Just wanted to say, this recipe sounds delicious. I also love to cook, so I'll definitely try it out next time I have guests. AND...love the dresses, impressive. I cannot sew. My domestic abilities end with cooking, but I like the Donna Reed-esque one best!