Tuesday, August 22, 2006

On Your Mark, Get Set...

So, I'm on my lunch break during my first real day of class at p-school. I'm struck by how different things are here. First of all, my campus is part of a real-life, functioning hospital...something I'm not used to being around on a daily basis. Secondly, all of my classes are held in the same room everyday (except for the one lab that I go to once a week). Most of our tests are taken outside of class time. (BTW, I was looking over the finals schedule last night and I noticed that my Bio-chem final is five hours long...that must be a misprint, right??) I have to wear a badge everyday and ride a shuttle twice everyday from and back to War Memorial Stadium where I park. (The morning bus driver drives the thing like its a nascar, so its actually turned out to be a nice early morning pick-me-up. Once this unbearable heat starts to subside, though, I'll probably start walking.) Most of my classes are team taught, which means that different doctors will come in on different days and lecture about their particular specialties. Speaking of classes, here is what I'm taking this semester:

Pharmaceutics I (basically lots of chemistry and how it relates to pharmacy)
Anatomy/Physiology/Pathology (this class has apparently caused several students to die)
Biological and Cellular Chemistry (I can't even begin to tell you how much this is going to require from my brain)
Pharmaceutical Calculations (thank the lord that Blue is my room-mate)
Pharmacy Practice I (not sure what this is going to entail just yet)

Aren't you glad you're not me? I'm still pretty stress free at this point, which is good. I just hope I can stay diligent and not fall into my bad habit of procrastinating, because apparently that is a death sentence for a pharm student.

I hope you've enjoyed this little lunch time insight into the life of a P-1 student. Join us next time for more enjoyable and enlightening tid-bits and anecdotes (and parentheses).

3 comments:

Elizabeth Spann said...

Oh my goodness those classes sound like pure hell to me! But you'll be fabulous, no doubt. Good luck!

katandkarl said...

i like the phrase P-1 student.

Chandle said...

Eww. I have to take things like
Ethics and Legal dimesions of public service
Dynamics of Social Change
Leadership
and
Statistical Analysis in public service. I do not envy you.