Friday, August 11, 2006

We Didn't Start the Fire

So, last night around 7:20 (right in the middle of Big Brother!) there is this startlingly loud explosion just outside our house. You guessed it. A transformer blew. I never knew how loud those things actually were. It was shocking. Anyway, we look outside and low and behold our neighbor's (who is an older, single lady) yard is on fire, and its a fire that is growing and spreading quite fast. Blue heads outside as do about 20 other neighbors who come running down the street to try and put it out. I call the fire department and this black lady in a robe starts banging on my neighbors door because she's not outside yet (turns out she had had cataract surgery and was all doped up, so it took her a while to get out of bed). All the people in the street ended up putting out the fire with hoses right before two giant fire engines arrived. (The fireman did not look happy. According to Blue's sister who is a firefighter, whenever they take the trucks out of the station they have to wash them when they get back.) Amazingly enough, Entergy had the power back on by about 8:00pm. All's well that ends well.

Yea! It's Friday...but also not yea! because that means I'm one day closer to starting pharm school. It's not that I don't want to go. I'm just starting to get a little anxious is all. I started a bio-chem reveiw this morning to hopefully give myself a head start.

Jillian and I are going shopping and out to lunch today. Then tomorrow Blue and I are heading up to Batesville to visit Brooke and Trevor and go hiking and climbing. Then on Sunday Jillian is coming over for a super sister sleepover. We're making home-made macaroni and cheese and renting girly movies. Yahoo!

I'm sure I'll see most of you at some point this weekend, otherwise have a good one!

3 comments:

the gloria family said...

crazy. i'm glad everyone is ok. did you catch the end of big brother? very exciting!
i knew i should have had a sister. then i could have super sister sleepovers. brothers just don't seem to enjoy those. damn you, mom.

Chandle said...

Crazy nutso fire story. I so know what you mean about school. It's like this impending doom where someone is going to steal my life and force me to attend 32 guest lectures in 4 months (that is an actual number) Boo grad school

Elizabeth Spann said...

Whoa! Drama rama! Glad I got to see you a bit this weekend!