Thursday, September 08, 2005

Recipe of the week

I thought it would be fun to post some of my favorite recipes every once in a while for anyone needing some new food in their life. This one is a healthy, yet tasty snack that's easy too. No plans yet for this weekend, but I wish everyone a safe and funfilled one.

Toasted-Pecan Butter
1 cup unsalted pecans, toasted (put in 350F oven, toss occasionally until they become fragrant)
1/8 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. canola oil
2 tsp. honey
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon

Finely grind pecans with the salt in a food processor. Add oil, honey, and cinnamon. Puree, scraping down sides occasionally. Tastes great spread on apple slices (especially granny smith) or on cinnamon rices cakes. Also goes well with mini-pretzels. Refrigerate. Will keep for 1 week. Yield: 1/2 cup

6 comments:

Elizabeth Spann said...

You're so crafty.

Anonymous said...

that sounds yummy! i will try that one for sure.

Chandle said...

You have to post more! You would be so proud, Leah. I'm like the little Martha Stewart of the art commune. Yesterday I went out and picked apples and then made apple pie. It was crazy. I also made zuchinni bread, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, and carrot cake. All from real vegetables!!!!! I'm a frickin frontier woman.

Leah Billings said...

I am so proud, Chandle. They all sound great. I have this really good recipe for apple cake that has this unbelievable caramel icing. I'll try to post it soon.

Unknown said...

yo. i bought some almonds instead of pecans by accident...think that would also work?? eh??

Leah Billings said...

Probably, you may want to add another spice (nutmeg, etc.) since almonds have a milder flavor than pecans...let me know how it turns out.